Thursday, July 30, 2009

diy recycled jar candleholders

Wrapping the bannisters in holidays lights would work, but wasn’t quite what I wanted. I wanted candles, real candles with dangerous, dangerous flames. Of course they needed to be securely contained in glass, and I was jonesing for a new project. So I half-followed Martha’s instructions for wiring jars.

dsc01480a

I used six-ounce baby food jars with votive candles. I was frustrated by trying to tighten the wire enough, using Martha’s instructions - so I made a little change, which you can see here. The pinched notch in the long loop let me tighten the short end using pliers, with no slipping.

dsc01478a

There are 50 of them; currently seven are hanging in my bedroom window. I like them there, so they may stay. When we hang them in the barn it won’t be with ribbon. What a fire hazard that would be! Right now I’m thinking of buying a twist tie roll and snipping off what we need for each one - easy on, easy off.

Yes, I’ve gone completely overboard on candles. If I don’t stop soon I’ll have to start hiding my habit.