Thursday, July 30, 2009

DIY silk pocketfolds

DIY Project Contest Entry #1

July 23rd, 2007 @ 2:45 pm by Contests

Last week, we announced our DIY project contest, and all this week we’ll be featuring some of the best submissions. On Friday, we’ll poll readers to determine the winner for the week, who’ll then go on to the semi-finals!

If you’ve got a project to submit, please send it to guest@weddingbee.com.

And now for today’s entry–Tanya’s beautiful silk-covered pocketfold invitations:

bioclosed.jpg

biopocket.jpg

biofull2.jpg

bioenvelopes.jpg

bioinsertsstack.jpg

Hi! I’m entering my silk-covered pocketfold invitations into the contest. First I got the cardstock cut into custom-sized sheets, which I sprayed with adhesive and covered with scarlet dupioni silk bought on eBay. Then I cut the cardstock into the appropriate dimensions, painstakingly covered each cut edge with liquid adhesive to prevent fraying, and scored and folded them.

I designed the invitations in Photoshop, using the scanned image of a cherry blossom rubber stamp, which I manipulated to make all the floral designs. Each insert has a unique motif on it. Then I sent out the design to a printer to have it thermographed in black and metallic gold onto ivory linen-textured cardstock. The invitation and all the inserts fit on one 8.5 x 11″ page, which I then had cut at Kinko’s. I layered it with gold paper and bronze stardream cardstock, attached it to the pocketfold with gold photo corners, and closed the pocketfold with brown grosgrain ribbon and a seal customized with the name of each guest (except for my own invitation, which has our names and the date on it).

The envelopes were a matching ivory linen paper, and I used the original cherry blossom rubber stamp (and a tiny blossom one I picked up to match for the RSVP envelopes) to emboss the back flaps with gold embossing powder. I printed them out with fonts matching the invitation.

I was so happy with how these turned out!

Tanya