Thursday, July 30, 2009

hair flowers

Miss Mascara's Flowers For Your Hair: A DIY Project

posted 1 month ago in Fascinators

Ed. note: We’ve attached the finished product to the end of the post!

~~~

I had been considering wearing silk flower in my hair for a few months before I found the photo that convinced me I had to have one.

Photo by Luke Walker.

Doesn’t that flower it look beautiful in her hair? I love it!

Sidenote: This picture also sold me on the idea of taking a picture in a boat, but I’d be nervous about falling into the water! I actually think they are trying to trick us in this picture. Doesn’t it look like the boat is on the dock? I guess that’s how you do it without getting wet… this couple is smart!

Anyways, after I saw this picture, I began shopping for hair flower materials. I picked up some apparel lining fabric (I think it’s just polyester) for a few other projects, but had a bunch of scraps left over. Since the fabric matched my dress, I used the remaining fabric to make the my hair flowers. Here are instructions in case you want to make one yourself. They are really easy to make!

You will need:

  • Fabric — lightweight fabric like silk or chiffon will work best. I just used some apparel lining fabric in ivory to match my dress. You can use scraps from another project, as this doesn’t take much!
  • Scissors or rotary cutter
  • Self-healing mat if you’re using a rotary cutter
  • Needle and matching thread

Instructions:

1. Cut a flower out of your fabric with scissors or a rotary cutter. You can trace a pattern on first if you prefer. I just did it freehand. Sorry for the wrinkles in this flower, this was one of my rejects.

2. Continue to cut flowers, making each one slightly smaller than the last. I used about 10 flowers for each hairpiece I made.

3. Stack flowers center to center from biggest to smallest, alternating the locations of the petals to avoid gaps.

4. Carefully lift all of the flowers at once and fold them in half.

5. Place needle in the center of the folded side, making sure that needle goes through all layers of the flower. Make a few stitches to keep the flowers together.

6. Turn flower around and pinch in the opposite direction to make flower round. Arrange petals how you would like them.

7. Make a few more stitches to keep petals in place and tie a knot in the thread. Your flower is finished!

8. Attach flower to hair clip, pin, headband, or anywhere else you want!

If you have any questions on this tutorial I’d be happy to answer them. Enjoy your pretty new flower!